Tuesday

Interview with singer/guitarist/ bassist Rob Wylde


Interview with singer/guitarist/ bassist Rob Wylde of Teenage Casket Company


Singer/ Guitarist/ Songwriter/ Bassist Rob Wylde picked up his first guitar at the age of 9. He wrote his first song at 11 and began playing in bands at the age of 14. His early bands included Father Time and Inside Out.In 2000 Wylde relocated to Nottingham to join the Melodic Rock band China Doll.They released their début CD "Better Late Than Never" in 2002 and toured the UK as opening act to Danger Danger.In late 2003, Wylde formed the Pop Rock/ Power pop band Teenage Casket Company( or TCC for short) They released 2 albums, "Dial It Up" in 2005 (voted album of the year in the UK glossy magazine Powerplay) and "Eat Your Heart Out" in 2006. Both albums received rave reviews all over the world which enabled them to tour the UK countless times, the USA twice, Italy and Ireland both headlining their own shows as well as opening for bands such as Vain, L.A Guns, Mitch Malloy and Robin Black to name a few.After 4 solid years of touring and recording TCC decided to take a well deserved break in late 2007. Wylde relocated to Boston, USA ,and formed Glam/ Cock Rock kings Sins Of America in early 2008. In the States in 2008 headlining their own shows as well as opening for the likes of White Lion, Faster Pussycat, Britny Fox and Dangerous Toys.In May 2009 Wylde contributed a solo song "So Good... So Bad" to the Kyle Rae Sweet benefit CD and played the benefit concert on June 5th in Woburn, MA before returning to the UK to once again tour with TCC.In late 2009, Wylde also joined ex Tigertailz front man Steevi Jaimz' touring band as guitarist for a handful of dates in Scandinavia.Once back in the UK Wylde regrouped with TCC and began writing new material.On Valentine's day 2012 TCC released a new single/ promo video "Without You" which will feature on a brand new album to be released in the Spring of 2013.Also, to join Glam legends Tigertailz as guitarist. He appeared in their new promo video/ single "Fall In Love Again". A new Tigertailz album is planned for 2013 where Wylde will be co-writing material with original guitarist Jay Pepper.Wylde can also be seen fronting the Poison tribute band Poizon as Britt Michaels as well as playing solo acoustic shows around the UK.


Quick Facts:
Name: Rob Wylde
Birth date: June 29
Place of birth: Preston, UK
Favorite album of all time? Def Leppard – "Hysteria"
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Europe – "The Final Countdown"
A guitar: Love the feel of playing Strat's, but you can't beat the sound of a Les Paul.
Favorite musician: Too many to pick just one but Desmond Child, Paul Stanley, old school Jon Bon Jovi, Jani Lane, Bruno Ravel and Steve West would name a few.
Favorite band or group: Kiss
As you describe yourself ? Creative, Passionate, Impulsive, Loyal.

Rob, what are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on?

At the minute we're just putting the finishing touches to the brand new TCC album. It will be our first album in a few years, but we're sure when you hear it, you will agree that it's been well worth the wait. We have a couple of bits and pieces to complete then we're going to hand it over to Johnny Lima who will be mixing the album. We plan on releasing the album over the summer then we'll hit the road to promote it. I'm also a member of Tigertailz and am about to start writing songs with Jay Pepper for a new Tailz release which will be out later this year.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?

Probably "Forever Young" by Alphaville, a classic. No reason really, it's just a great timeless track.

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
I remember when I was really young I used to hear my dad playing Abba records all the time and I loved them. I think that's where my love of melodies and hooks came from. My first real favourite band was Duran Duran, who my older sister got me into when I was about 5 or 6 (I still love that band). Then the floodgates well and truly opened in 1986 when Europe hit number one in the UK with "The Final Countdown". A couple of weeks later Bon Jovi hit big with "You Give Love A Bad Name" and I was sold hook, line and sinker! As an 8 year old kid I wasn't really aware of how to go about finding new music, so the bands that made an impact on me initially were the bands who had hit singles. In 1987/88 bands like Kiss, Poison, Whitesnake, and Heart all had hits and I bought all those albums and played them to death. As I got older and discovered magazines like "Kerrang" and, especially "Metal Edge" I fell head over heels in love with all the American Hair bands and bought into the whole concept of what they were doing. I also got into a lot of the sleazier bands of the time like L.A Guns and Vain, but I wouldn't necessarily say they had a musical influence on me. I bought more into the image of bands like that. The bands that really influenced me were always the more melodic poppy bands of that genre. Bands like Danger Danger, Warrant, White Lion and Trixter for example. It's the same with bands now. Unless a band has great melodies and hooks, I ain't interested. If I had to name my 3 biggest influences though, I'd have to go with Kiss, Def Leppard and Danger Danger.

What is music to you?

Music is my life. It's everything I live for and it's pretty much been that way since the moment I was born. It's gotten me through some of the best and worst times and I always like to think of music as the soundtrack to your life. Like when you hear a certain song on the radio or whatever, it will take you back to exactly where you were and what you were doing at that particular point in your life. And as a songwriter, it's incredibly therapeutic and can help you through the toughest times. If you've ever wanted to know what was going on in my personal life over the past 10 years, just take a listen to my music!

How do you describe the sound of Teenage Casket Company?

We take all the great elements of late 80's/ early 90's Melodic Rock/ Hair Metal and blend it together with all the cool Pop Rock/ Power Pop of today. It's the ultimate feel good, driving with the top down kinda music and because we cross over a few genres, it enables us to attract older fans and younger fans at the same time.

Let’s talk about the new album.

Well this album has been a long time in the making and that's due to a few reasons. Number one, we're all super busy outside of TCC working on various other projects. Number two, this album is once again self financed so we have to work around that issue and we also have to work around the studio's schedule and when our producer Joe Brown is available. On top of that, we wanted to make sure that this album was as good as it possibly could be, so I spent a lot more time writing the material to get it just right. To me, the album perfectly sums up where TCC has been, where we are now and where we're going in the future. There's plenty of songs that will keep the old school TCC fans happy, the fans who have been with us since "Dial It Up" in 2005 but it also shows signs of us maturing as well. As much as I love writing the happy go lucky "Don't Look At Me Like That" type songs, I don't want us to be completely defined by that and if I want to write something a little more serious every now and then, then I want to have the freedom to be able to do that. So there's a couple of songs on the album that go a little deeper than anything we've done before, especially lyrically. We've also really gone to town on the production this time around which has maybe let us down a little in the past. In the past we've always pretty much just gone in and played the songs live, overdubbed a few things here and there, but this time around we looked at each new song as an individual project layering vocals, guitars, keyboards and spending a lot more time to make sure each song was as big as it possibly could be rather than rushing through everything. It's sounding huge as it is, but once we're finished we're gonna hand it over to Johnny Lima to mix which will be the icing on the cake.

You are also a member of the U.S. band Sins Of America and Poizon(Band Tribute Poison).You are more focused on which band?

Sins Of America was a band I formed when I moved to the States in 2008. It was a little more Glam than TCC but still very melodic and hooky. We released an EP later that year and toured the States for a couple of years but when I returned to the UK in 2010, unfortunately the band folded. I had an awesome time with those guys though and got to live out my own little version of the American dream for a while, so no regrets. I'm still in touch with drummer Shawn Vincent and bassist Evan Deane. Shawn plays in a great band called Damn Shame and Evan is working on a solo album, check them out! Great guys!
Poizon is a Poison tribute I formed with TCC bassist Laney 74 in the summer of 2011. I had the idea whilst living in the States but it never came to fruition, so we put it together in the UK instead. We're the only Poison tribute from the UK/ Europe so that's enabled us to draw huge crowds to each and every show. As a lifelong Poison fan it was a no brainer for me and a great way of earning money and paying homage to the classic 1988/1990 era of the band at the same time, with a full stage show complete with pyro, lazers, bombs etc. It's a close to the real thing as you're gonna get!

What are your next projects?
Right now my priority is to finish the new TCC album and get that out. I'll also be writing material with for a new Tigertailz album as I said earlier, and am currently writing material for a solo album which will be in more of an 80's Melodic Rock style. I'm also going to be helping out Jules Millis' (Tigertailz) band White Widdow and touring Europe with them as bassist later in the year. I have a few other irons in the fire as well, so It's gonna be another busy year!

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ...

Living to win means you pursue your goals, challenges and dreams without regard for anyone else's opinions, failures or the obstacles in your way. I may not always succeed, but as long as I fail on my own terms I've won – Paul Stanley.