Monday

Interview with bassist Jerry Scott



Interview with bassist Jerry Scott of Bad Company / White Trash Cowboys              


Quick Facts:
Name: Jerry Scott
Birth date: 04/09
Place of birth: Indiana, USA
Favorite album of all time? Over The Mountain… Ozzy
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I'm not sure, maybe Mötley Crüe
A bass: I have a variety of basses. But my favorite is my B. C. Rich Bitch that my brother, Chris, bought me when I was fourteen. I'm currently playing DBZ guitars & basses, for studio work.
Favorite musician: Will Lee, Duck Dunn, Marco Mendoza, Rudy Sarzo & Peter "Mars"Cowling as far as bass players go. Guitar players - Randy Rhodes, Zakk Wylde, Angus Young, Brad Sayre & John Mayer (to name a few).
Favorite band or group: Elvis, The Beatles, Ozzy, Dio, Buckcherry, Lynyrd Skynyrd , Foreigner, Van Halen, Motley Crue, 3 doors Down & Blake Shelton. I like most all music if it's good and produced well. I like & play all different styles, but my heart belongs to Metal :)
As you describe yourself ? I'm a self-proclaimed maniac, & lover of loud music.
Jerry, what are you currently working on?
I currently have a publishing company with my partner Terry Martin, called White Trash Media. We write music for film & television. We have a publishing deal with Nicole Sanzio. She worked for MTV for 5 years, then left to start InDigi Music. They just got a placement in the new Fast & Furious 5 & have a song on the soundtrack of the newest scary movie, with Charlie Sheen & Lindsay Lohan. She's very well respected in the film/ t.v industry and I've been dealing with her for 6 yrs. My newest placement is on the hit show, Millionaire Matchmaker.

When did you first start playing bass, and which artists were your biggest influences?
Elvis was my first true influence. I used to play one of his 45's on my little, plastic record player when I was about 4 yrs. old. It excited me so much that I thought I had super human strength. I remember squatting under this little kid's pool table that I had, and lifting it straight up over my head. It was at that moment that I new I wanted to be a musician. As I got a little older, I started making little Elvis costumes & putting on shows for my parents & their friends. I think I charged $5.00 a couple for tickets. My dear childhood friend, Gwenna Polly, would shine a flash light on me as a spotlight. My Mom & Dad loved it.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
It's a song that I wrote about my deceased brother, Mike Scott. It's called "How I Wish the World Would Change".

You've worked with so many great musicians over the years. Do you have a favorite?
The top of my list would be Brian Howe (singer of Bad Company), Bobby Ingram (guitarist for Molly Hatchet), Brad Sayre (guitarist on a recent project of mine - Shotgun Lucy), Shawn Beamer (drummer for Molly Hatchet), Tracy Austin (guitarist), Kevin Neal (former Pat Traverse/Lou Graham drummer), Bobby Blotzer (drummer for Ratt) & Tim "The Ripper" Owens (singer for Judas Priest). I also have great respect for Stephen Pearcy (singer of Ratt), who I did 3 "Metal in America" tours with. I also can't leave out my renowned tattoo artist, Mark Dupp, for inking me up & giving me the look.

What is music to you?
Music is my life.

What has been the most exciting moment of your career thus far?
I would have to say playing in front of 60,000 people, with Bad Company (with former singer Brian Howe) and Pat Benatar. That's the one show that stands out. It was in Chicago  a "Testicle Festival". People actually eat those things!

What are your next projects?
I'm working with a band called White Trash Cowboys. My partner from White Trash Media is the guitarist in the band. Hollywood's favorite dentist, Bryan Simons, is the singer. This project should be off the ground soon. We're based out of the live music capital of the world - Austin, Tx.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
A quote from John Wayne, "Life's tough, & it's even tougher if your stupid."