Monday

Interview with bassist Bjorn Englen







Interview with Bjorn Englen bassist of Soul Sign, DIO Disciples


Quick Facts:
Name: Bjorn Englen
Birth date: Oct 9th
Place of birth: Vaxjo, Sweden
Favorite album of all time: Oh, so many... Queensryche "Empire" is really nice
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? The Kiss Paul Stanley "Solo Album"
A bass: Carvin SB4000
Favorite musician: John Paul Jones
Favorite band or group: Iron Maiden
As you describe yourself: Intuitive, artistic, fair, open-minded


Bjorn, what are your most recently completed projects?
My band Soul Sign just did a Scandinavian Tour. It was great. We're working on a new album. I've also been touring in South- and North America with DIO Disciples (The official DIO band). That's been a blast. I've been doing a lot of sessions lately as well. The band White Wizzard being one. Cool band with great songs. Hopefully soon I will be jamming out with Tony MacAlpine again. He's such a brilliant musician and cool guy.

How old were you when you first started playing bass? What inspired you to learn?
I was 13. I think I was born a drummer (lol). Tried that for a while and liked it, but bass was more practical and neighbor friendly, haha. I had actually thought of playing bass before I played drums. I was fascinated with it and how it sounded so big with just single notes. Besides that everyone seemed to want to play drums or guitar. I wasn't sure why (I think kids don't realize how big the bass guitar is in a mix of a song, and sometimes confuse it with guitar). I thought bass was at least as cool so I thought "Hey, I'm gonna be on big stages with a bass" even before I started. When I was about 15 there was no doubt in my mind that one day I was gonna be a world touring bassist.

Who are your main musical and bass influences?
Not sure... Growing up it was many bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Yngwie Malmsteen, DIO, Scorpions and bass players like Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan and Marcel Jacob. Now my favorite bass player is John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. To be honest I don't listen much to music anymore but I do like a lot of everything and what inspires me to write are things in life or a day on the beach.

What is music to you?
My job, laughs. No seriously, it's very important. It's an emotional universal language. I'm not sure what life would be without it. Probably ok but not nearly the same.

You are a member of several bands.You are more focused on which band?
Soul Sign

What are your next projects?
A new album with Soul Sign with a tour in Europe or South America in the fall.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Listen to your own heart, not to other people. Do what makes you happy. With enough focus anything is possible.