Monday

Interview with bassist Ricky Phillips



Interview with Ricky Phillips bassist of Styx



Ricky Phillips is an American bassist and the current bass player for the rock band Styx. He has also played in The Babys, Bad English, and Coverdale-Page.


Name: Ricky Phillips
Place of birth: Mt Pleasant, Iowa
Favorite album of all time? Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow"

What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Beach Boys "Surfin Safari"
A bass: love my 50s and 60s Fender P and J basses but two I have designed are my favorites. One I did for Fender and one I just did for Italia are both amazing.
Favorite musician: Jimi Hendrix
Favorite band or group: The Beatles
As you describe yourself ? Winning against all odds

 
What are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on?
I'm completing a project I started with Ronnie Montrose before he passed.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
'Banks of the Ohio ' is A song my family used to sing. We killed it.

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
Hearing myself on the radio for the first time, first platinum album, working with Jimmy Page and being honored by the Texas legislature for my musical accomplishments.

And what can you say about the days of the "Bad English"? What are your memories of that time?
A lot of great recordings. Good hard work.

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
Jimi Hendrix, John Entwhistle, Jeff Beck, Yes, Bowie, Humble Pie, The Beatles, The Stones, Zeppelin, Cream.

What is next for "Styx", any new albums, or tours on the way?
We tour constantly…200 days a year. Some shows with Journey coming up and John Waite just opened for us. Great seeing old friends. We are always working on new songs. and will eventually find time to record them!

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Thanks for the memories.