Sunday

Interview with guitarist Thomas Blanksvärd





Interview with Thomas Blanksvärd guitarist of SlideShow


Quick Facts:
Name: Thomas Blanksvärd
Birth date: 15 march
Place of birth: Luleå, Sweden
Favorite album of all time?A tough question, the answer will depend on when in time it was stated. In this moment, the answer would definitely have been "Appetite for destruction"
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? With my own money, it was Iron Maiden "Killers"… but when I got home and opened the cover a "Iron Maiden" disc were inside. Awesome, then I got a killer cover with a great CD inside, win win.
A guitar: ESP Eclipse II
Favorite musician: Randy Roads, an innovator with a too short life
Favorite band or group: I must say Guns N Roses anno 1980ies, when I first heard them in a moist cellar as 8 year old boy my mind was completely blown away. They sort of welcomed me to the jungle of awesome rock n roll.
As you describe yourself ? Always balancing on a razors edge, one foot in the academic world doing research and the other foot trying to do as much wicked stuff as possible. A true Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde.

Thomas, how old were you when you first started playing? What inspired you to learn?
I was 11 years old and I had at the least metric ton of musicians in the family who inspired me. Another incentive was of course how cool and awesome all the great guitarists looked on stage

What are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on?
The most recent project was writing, composing and pre-recording the songs for the upcoming SlideShow album. Currently we have just finished the master on our single that will be on the soundtrack for the winter issue of the Slednez movie.

Who were your musical influences growing up, and are there any artists that continue to influence you?
The influences for me when I grew up have been a diversity of genres; pop, rock, goth, emo and death metal. Today I get influenced by almost every artists that makes good, genuine music, from Lady Gaga to Ax7.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
One song that has been around almost all my life and that I listen to from time to time is "Crazy train" by Ozzy…such a beautiful blend of riffs

What is music to you?
Music for me is a way of expressing yourself and the mood you are in. Music is the nutrient for the sould and is essential for getting up in the morning, going to the gym…music is life put into sound

How would you describe your playing style?
I play with my heart, not my mind…most of the time it is raw to core but it can also be brittle and delicate.

What are your next projects?
Besides playing and recording with SlideShow, I would like to try playing a different genre that I so far how not tried yet

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Never become stale, always keep pushing the envelope and live life as there is no tomorrow