Monday

Interview with bassist Jason Sixx


Interview with Jason Sixx bassist of One Left Alive




Quick Facts:
Name: Jason Sixx
Birth date: August 3
Place of birth: Los Angeles, Ca
Favorite album of all time? Appetite For Destruction
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I didn’t have any money but I shoplifted the album Shout At the Devil.
A guitar: Gibson Les Paul Custom
Favorite musician: Slash
Favorite band or group: Motley Crue
As you describe yourself ? Long haired, tattooed, 80’s heavy metal lovin’ rocker

Jason, what are your most recently completed projects?
We’ve just finished recording our new "One Left Alive" album and it’s set to release later this year.

How did you become a bassist?What inspired you to learn?
Well I first started out playing the guitar. Early in my childhood, my brother got me listening to bands like, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden & Black Sabbath. Those epic guitar riffs really inspired me to pick up my brothers fender guitar (when he wasn’t in the house because he would kill me for touching it) But over the years I really fell in love with the pulsing sound of the bass. I listened to guys like Flea & Duff McKagen and told myself "That’s what I wanna do". It’s just sexy…

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
I have so many influences in my life. Motley Crue played an integral role in my path of hard rock & heavy metal. I remember standing at the record store with Shout at the Devil in one hand and Van Halens "Jump" in the other, debating which one I was going to steal and which one was worth getting in trouble for if I got caught. I was a young kid with a musical base but no no direction. Well I must tell you, walking out of that store with Shout at the Devil in my jacket, was one hell of a direction.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
Growing up in LA in the early 80’s, in an era of Duran Duran and David Bowie I felt lost. At the time, music like that really didn’t speak to me. The Crue told stories in their songs about growing up in LA & Hollywood. I could relate to the words they were singing.

Who is your favorite bass player of all time?
Jason Newsted for his playing and Nikki Sixx for his song writing.

Let’s talk about the new album. Does any particular song on the CD have special meaning for you?
There’s a song on our new album called, "Here and After". We didn’t know until after we wrote and recorded the song that it’s very reminiscent of the old 80’s power ballads. Which a lot of bands don’t do these days. Every member of "One Left Alive" has a different style of music that they’re in to. We have the 80’s metal guy, the 70’s bluesy/rock guy, the 90’s punk guy and the today’s Inde rock guy. And when you all come together and write a Power Ballad like "Here and After", I think it says a lot for a band to put everyone’s differences aside.

What is next for "One Left Alive", tours on the way?
One Left Alive will be releasing our (still untitled) studio produced album in the next month or 2. We will be setting out to do a Canada wide tour this year and into next year. U.S in the spring and summer.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
"Life…It’s not Here but After."