Sunday

Interview with Rob Wylde for release of new album "Still Standing"







Interview with Rob Wylde of Teenage Casket Company for release of new album "Still Standing"


So Rob, what have you been doing just now?
Doing good thanks. It's been a busy few weeks now that the album is finally done. It's officially released on September 30th, so we're trying to promote it as much as we can and get the word out about it.

Let’s talk about the new album. And what are the differences with songwriting/recording on the new album as compared to your previous albums?
I think we've just matured a lot in general and that is bound to happen when you've been around for 10 years, as we now have. If you don't progress and evolve, then there's something wrong. I didn't approach the writing any differently to how I have done in the past. I've always written everything on an acoustic guitar and that hasn't changed, nor has the process. I guess I'm just in a different place nowadays so the writing and subject matter reflects where I'm at right now. I just write how I feel. The recording process was completely different though. In the past we've pretty much just booked a block of time in a studio and banged it out. The first album "Dial It Up" was almost punk rock. Not in the style, but in the way we went in and bashed it out so quickly. We spent a little more time on "Eat Your Heart Out" and with this album, we really went to town. Instead of recording all the songs together, we took each song, looked upon it as an individual project and recorded them one at a time, building them layer by layer in the studio until we got just what we wanted. Then we'd move on to the next song and start from scratch on that one. We'd never worked like that before and our producer Joe Brown played a big part in how we went about things this time around. We just wanted to do the songs I guess.

How was the creative process?
The songs on this album were written over the span of the last 2 years right up until about 6 months ago. I always write alone, and like I said earlier, just sit down with an acoustic and start writing. That's how I've always written songs and I always think that writing that way is a good gauge as to how strong your song is. Anyone can hide behind walls and walls of guitars with effects and a huge production, that's easy! but how well would that same song hold up with one guy and an acoustic guitar on his own? I like to know that the song is strong without anything being added to it. It's obviously then a hell of a lot of fun making it huge in the studio but I also like to know that it can be stripped back down to its bare bones and that there's still a great song under neath it all. Once I have that, I send a basic demo to the guys, then we rehearse it up. The writing process literally hasn't changed since day one really.

Were you involved in the writing process for this album?
Yes, I wrote all the songs on this album apart from the song "Girl" which was written by Butch Walker and Erik Turner of Warrant. Erik sent me that song about 5 years ago along with a bunch of others. He somehow tracked me down via email and wrote to me saying that he had our first album "Dial It Up" and that he really liked it. I became friends with him when I was living in the States and he seemed keen to get involved with us, so "Girl" is the result. We figured having 2 big names like theirs on the album couldn't do us any harm.

This album has musical influence of hard rock bands of the 80s?
We are all big fans of late 80's American rock but we are also big fans of power pop and pop music in general, so I think our sound is a mix of all those elements blended together. A lot of bands who are also influenced by 80's rock tend to sound like they are stuck in a time warp and that's the last thing we want. We take all those elements and update them so they're relevant here and now in 2013.

Does any particular song on the CD have special meaning for you?
A lot of the songs do to be honest. But "Make It Through The Night" and "Without You" really hit home in particular. Both those songs were written whilst I was going through the divorce from hell and I was in a very dark place. Thankfully I got something positive out of it and those 2 songs are the results. I think anyone who has gone through a divorce or a break up will be able to relate to those 2 songs and maybe even draw some comfort from them? Elsewhere, I really like "Still Standing" which is all about not giving in and getting back up no matter how many times you fall. That was written as I was beginning to see the light again and I think it also relates to TCC's defiance throughout the last 10 years too.

What is next for "Teenage Casket Company", any new albums, or tours on the way?
We're currently promoting the hell out of the album as well as playing shows both as a full band and also acoustically. We have a handful of dates in September and October, then we're going to finish off the year with more dates in December which will run into next year and beyond. We'll be shooting a video for "(You Only Love Me) When You Hate Me" which will be released as a single in the next few months. We're also going to be recording a Christmas single which will be available for download in December. Beyond that, there will definitely be more new material coming your way in 2014.

A message for "Back To The Hard Rock" ....
I'd just like to say thank you so much for your interest and support. It means a lot. Please head on over to our new website
www.teenagecasketcompany.co.uk to pre order our new album "Still Standing" (released Sep 30) You can also find up to date info, tour dates and merch on sale there so check it out, thanks!