Thursday

Interview with drummer Troy Patrick Farrell




Interview with drummer Troy Patrick Farrell  of  Cheap Thrill / Lost Angels / Ex White Lion

Quick Facts:
Name: Troy Patrick Farrell
Birth date: On the 8th day, July
Place of birth: Hammond, in (Jus South of Chicago)
Favorite album of all time? Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" and Cheap Trick "Budokan" and the new Winery Dogs Album Rules... and anything by Kings X
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I got busted for stealing the Slippery When Wet Cassette by Bon Jovi when it came out..true story. From the store Venture in Griffith, IN.
A drum: My first kit was purchased from the "Bargain Finder" in Indiana.It was an old Ludwig Kit with a 20" Kick drum,a 12" tom and a 16" floor tom.The snare drum was the standard Ludwig school issued snare drum..I only have that. My Ma said if I got that kit, took lessons and stuck with it, I’d get another set.I did get that 2nd set, but I regret now selling that kit.It would be my first drum set.
Favorite musician: Phil Lynott and dUg Pinnick
Favorite band or group: You want to fall in love with music? Get Thin Lizzy (Greatest Hits), Kings X (Ear Candy) and any Cheap Trick Album
As you describe yourself? I’m a simple loving guy, wears his heart on his sleeve,overly sensitive,generous to a fault.Works hard, honest and usually ends up disappointed.But as long as others are happy, I am too..
 

Troy, what are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on?
I’m still a member of White Lion which only holds a great legacy… I doubt we’ll ramp up.I’m playing drums for Gilby Clarke (GNR/Kings Of Chaos) and on the way to Sturgis (Biggest North American Motorcycle Rally), we filmed a documentary for a cable channel that we’re shopping in the New Year. Cheap Thrill, featuring Jeff LaBar and Eric Brittingham of Cinderella as well as newcomer Brandon Gibbs(Gibbs Bros). I do the "west of the Miss (Mississippi) Dates".We head to Europe in 2014. Great Band, some covers and great originals: www.CheapThrillRocks.com
Lost Angels: www.LostAngelsLive.com with John Corabi (Motley Crue, The Scream, Union) Eric Brittingham (Cinderella, Cheap Thrill) Eric Dover (Slash’s Snakepit, Sextus, Alice Cooper, JellyFish). We just toured Australia, Europe and India.We will ramp up more shows in Russia, Europe and S. America in 2014!

What inspired you to take up drumming?
In 1983 I went to a DIO concert…that was it..

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
Mike Tramp has always been a good leader.He let me do what I do and pulled from my strengths and improved my weaknesses… and took me around the world...40 countries…

Who is your favorite drummer of all time?
Bun E Carlos..however I don’t play like him..I love him the most…. He’s the only member of Cheap Trick I haven’t met. Huge fan of Vik Foxx and Tommy Lee.

You have been a member of a few famous bands, (White Lion,Pretty Boy Floyd).What are your memories?
White Lion hit 40 countries in 2008.We released a new album (the first since 1991 titled "Return of the Pride).We played India, Indonesia, Spain, USA, UK and everywhere else. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TIqjP0YGLI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TIqjP0YGLI

You've worked with so many great musicians over the years. Do you have a favorite?
Even though my tenure was a bit "off", a great memory was playing with Jani Lane.But Mike Tramp has given me any mileage I have. I worked hard for it,I drove fast, but he gave me the pavement to drive on.Mick Sweda (Bulletboys) and Tod Howarth (Frehley’s Comet/Ted Nugent) were early inspirations and guys that gave me hope when I first moved to LA.

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
Playing in front of 42 to 42,000... but yeah, 42,000 in Shillong India. The entire India tour was amazing. 8 days of meeting people with the least that would give the most.It changed my life.I’ve since been back with Lost Angels
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4FfiYaqcM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4FfiYaqcM

What are your next projects?
I’m currently playing with Gilby Clarke: www.GilbyClarke.com doing weekends here and there as well as the Dick Pistols in Los Angeles and "The Raskins". All of my "stuff" can be found at: www.drummertroy.com
www.twitter.com/drummertpf
facebook: drummertroy
Expect a European tour of Cheap Thrill in 2014 and more activity from Lost Angels.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
I have a few simple ones...phrases and actions to live by.Pick one, or pick all; Stay in school. Chase your dream, when you think you have caught it, keep chasing, you just missed it. Love your mother. Open doors for others. Say hello and goodbye...Say Please and Thank You. Most importantly,"Have a good time, all of the time"