Thursday

Interview with Drummer KC


Interview with Drummer KC




Quick Facts:
Name: Drummer KC
Birth date: July 27th
Place of birth: Chicago, IL.
Favorite album of all time? That is a Tough question! Hard to name just one! I'd have to narrow it down to my Top 7 Scorpions "LoveDrive" / Van Halen II / Missing Persons "Spring Session M" / Bad Brains "I Against I" / Chic "Greatest Hits" / The Clash "London Calling" / Chemical Brothers "Exit Planet Dust"
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Kiss Alive II
A drum: First drum set was an old 4 piece set of Ludwig's (Marine Pearl) my Grandfather bought me from a Church Sale. Still have them today!
Favorite musician: Have so Many Many..Hard to name just One! If I had to narrow it down…I'd say Mike Scultz/Buddy Rich/Prince/B Ray/Jimi Hendrix/Bono/Clive Burr just to name a few...
Favorite band or group: Same thing! So hard to answer! I'd have to say U2/The Clash/Scorpions/Van Halen/Prince/Metallica/Chemical Brothers are my top/fav groups of All-Time
As you describe yourself ? I'd say I'm a true music lover and a true music fan besides being a professional musician myself! I love all genres of music and don't tend to lean toward one or another. I just love music in every form! I am always looking to improve and evolve as a musician! I love to re-create myself and try new things! I am easy going and love a good laugh! I am truly blessed and lucky to live this life of music!



KC, what are your most recently completed projects?

I am currently working on a Rock project with my best friend and writing partner B Ray called "The Feel" B Ray-Guitar/Vox KC-Drums It has Awesome Energy and Simple Killer Riffs. Picture if the Foo Fighters/Green Day & Ozzy got into a fight! That would be The Feel! Releasing in December 2013. Also working on my new EDM Project "Electro Punx" Total Electro-EDM Madness! Writing with several top producers and DJ's as well as LSD/Anti Product Guitarist Alex Kane. Also finishing up a new show mix for "The Drummer KC" Live Show for a run of shows beginning Jan. 11th in Chicago and performing through to the Spring/Summer of 2014. 2014 is shaping up to be a busy year! Can't wait for people to hear the new projects!

Who is your favorite drummer of all time?
Again, I have so many favorite drummers and drumming influences it's so hard and difficult to narrow it down to just a few! I'd have to say I was lucky enough to study under two amazing teachers Bill Leathers and Phil Stanger. Grew up watching several amazing local drummers in Chicago as a kid, Kevin Frost, Larry Day, Greg Potter, Jerry Weiner. Major influences as a young drummer Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Gene Krupa, Tony Thompson (Chic) Clive Burr (Iron Maiden) Lars Ulrich (Metallica) Herman Rarebell (Scorpions) Terry Bozzio (Missing Person) Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix) Alex Van Halen (Van Halen) Later...Ray Luzier (Korn) Tiny (TSOL) Pat Ashby (Quiet Riot) Shannon Larkin (Godsmack) Jeff Porcaro (Toto) Neil Peart (Rush) Dave Lombardo (Slayer) Stewart Copeland (The Police) Keith Moon (The Who) Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters).

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?

I'd have to say the greatest influence on me as a young musician growing up was my neighbor and music mentor Mike Schultz. He was about twenty years older than me and an amazing blues guitarist. He used to always give me tips and advice to improve and was always getting me to listen to other kinds of music to round me as a player! I owe him so much for taking the time to open my eyes to the wonderful world of music! Have so many bands that influenced me in so many ways…from playing styles, to how I dressed and carried myself. I was totally into all the early metal and glam stuff, then the Punk, then the Hardcore, the the Electro..I am constantly learning and evolving and loving every minute of it!

How would you describe your playing style?
"Funky, Fresh + Fast" Every musician is going to say the have ther own playing style, but we are influenced by so many! I would have to say B Ray is responsible for my Loud, Energetic, Tight Style of playing. We learned how to play our instruments together. Guitar and Drums and he would always say instead of learning covers. let's try and write or own music and experiment! That was the turning point for me as a player. I was allowed at an early age to explore my own style and abilities! Than You B Ray!

What interests do you have outside music?

I Love to play baseball! I play in several leagues around Southern California and every year participate in a World Series Tournament (NABA) against teams from all over the world in Phoenix. I love to work out and being outdoors! I love to swim! I love to play cards! I love to watch sports! I love being alive!

What is next for you, any tours?next projects?

Like I said earlier..have several new exciting projects ready for release in the near future. My Rock project "The Feel" with B Ray My EDM project "Electro Punx" and new shows and tour for "The Drummer KC" starting Jan. 11th

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave...
Thank You Gisell for the interview and allowing me to reach you fans and followers! I am a drummer trying new things and trying to be a trailblazer in leading the movement of being a solo drum perform and take peoples conceptions and beliefs of what a drummer should and shouldn't be and turn them upside down! Thanks again! All the Best! Have a Blessed and Amazing 2014! KC