Monday

Interview with bassist Chuck Wright



Interview with bassist Chuck Wright of  Quiet Riot / Heaven and Earth




Chuck Wright is an American bassist, best known as a member of heavy metal band Quiet Riot.He's also worked with the following bands/artists: House Of Lords, Bad Moon Rising, Blackthorne, Christian Tolle Project, Doro, Impellitteri, Kuni, MSG, Magdalen, Murderer's Row, Pata, Paul Shortino's The Cutt, Stephen Pearcy, Adler's Appetite, Love/Hate, Stuart Smith, Ken Tamplin, Heaven and Earth.


Quick Facts:
Name: Chuck Wright
Birth date: September 13th
Place of birth: I'm a California man
Favorite album of all time? Sting "Ten Sumners Tales"
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Cream "Disraeli Gears"
A bass: My Godin fretless is my current favorite. My first Bass I ever bought was a 1963 Fender P-Bass.
Favorite musician: Paul McCartney
Favorite band or group: Led Zeppelin
As you describe yourself ? I'm creative, outgoing, always socializing seeing live music and museums. I love to ride my bike and hike.


Chuck, what are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on?
Last year, the album I helped write and record with Heaven And Earth called "Dig" was released. We also put out a couple videos that are on YouTube and have had around 500,000 viewers each.We went for that classic rock seventies Deep Purple, Bad Company, Rainbow kind of vibe. I also did the Bass on the new "Northern Light Orchestra" release. It's an "All Star" Christmas album and this is the third one. I have an acoustic group here in L.A. called "Acoustic Saints".We reinterpret Classic Rock tunes using Violin, Mandolin, acoustic guitars, percussion and I only play my Godin Fretless Bass. Stan Bush is the lead singer. He’s won Emmy’s and has albums out in Europe. We're currently doing an acoustic tribute to Led Zeppelin for Cleopatra Records.Things have been really busy recently. I've been rehearsing and arranging music for a musical/political/satire called "Rock-n-Ridicule" and recording Bass here at home for an animated movie called "Jack And The Giants". This weekend I'm in the studio recording the material for the musical. They use tracks to sing to live.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
As far as songs I played on that would of course be Quiet Riots "Bang Your Head". It's the first song I ever heard of myself on the radio and it went on to become the anthem for 80's Rock. The Bass is very prominent in that song as well. It's actually being used in a commercial now for Hyundai.
Other artists music would be Led Zeppelins "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" because it was the first song that I realized you can be sensitive and still Rock. I perform that song with Acoustic Saints. Love it!

You have been a member of a few famous bands...What are your memories of that time?
One of my personal favorite times was spent on tour with Alice Cooper in 2001 and 2002. We did 75 cities in 17 countries starting in Moscow and ending in Lisbon, Portugal. It's was a first class production and I was able to go out most days with Alice to shop and look at the sights. He's a great guy and that was an amazing band live. I could actually write a full book on all of escapades and touring I've done over the years so I'll just leave you with that one. 

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
Being a Bassist, I’d have to say John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, John Entwhistle, Jaco Pastorious, Jeff Berlin and James Paul McCartney.


Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
The first time I did a real tour was opening for Deep Purple in 1985. That very first show was insane. A sold out arena in Texas and Texans love their rock-n-roll. I was with Giuffria and the band was on fire that night…hearing that crowd when the lights went down sent chills up my spine. That never gets old.

What are your next projects?
As I said earlier, I'm currently doing an acoustic tribute to Led Zeppelin for Cleopatra Records with Acoustic Saints. I'm always on the road with Quiet Riot…things are going great, it looks to be a fantastic 2014!

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
The true beauty of music is that it connects people. It carries a message, and we, as musicians, are the messengers. Until the day I have nothing left to share, I will keep sending out messages. As our dear departed friend, Ronnie James Dio, said "Long Live Rock-N-Roll"!!