Tuesday

Interview with guitarist Brian Forsythe


Interview with guitarist Brian Forsythe of  Kix / Rhinobucket


Quick Facts:
Name: Brian “Damage” Forsythe
Birth date: 09/30
Place of birth: Champaign, IL
Favorite album of all time? It’s hard to pick just one but… ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I had an older brother so I used to listen to his records when I was a kid. The first record I actually owned was a gift so I  didn’t buy it. It was Cream - Disraeli Gears
A guitar: My 1960 Gibson Melody Maker. 2nd runner up - my 1971 Fender telecaster.
Favorite musician: Billy Gibbons
Favorite band or group: Nothing current. Old Rolling Stones ’69 - ’74, Old ZZ Top ’71 - ’79
As you describe yourself ? Quiet. I don’t like crowds unless I’m on stage. When I’m on stage I put everything I have into it. I try to project love and inspiration through the music.



What are your most recently completed projects?
The new Kix record which will be out sometime early summer. I am also currently working on a new Rhino Bucket record as well.


When did you first start playing guitar?
Around 8 years old. 


Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Humble Pie, The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC


And what can you say about the first time of  "Kix"? What do you remember?
We formed in December 1977 in my parents basement. It was Ronnie, Donnie, myself with a different drummer and singer. We found Steve and Jimmy in 1979 to complete the line up. In the early days we had to play cover songs and sneak our own originals into the set little by little. 


Has the dynamic of the band and music changed over the years?
Of course it has evolved over the years. I left the band in 1993 when the music scene headed into the Grunge era. I saw the ship starting to sink so I bailed. It did finally sink around 1996 or so. We reformed at the end of 2003 with a different bass player so that changed the dynamic a little. I think the new record still sounds like Kix but because Donnie wasn’t involved, the songs do sound slightly different then before. 


Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
Probably going to Japan the first time in 1989. 


To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Play from the heart, don’t follow trends and never give up!