Wednesday

Interview with bassist Jochen Mayer




Interview with bassist Jochen Mayer of  Viva La Tia’s / Ex-Casanova


Quick Facts:
Name: Jochen J. Mayer
Birth date: 03/03
Place of birth: Ludwigshafen, Germany
Favorite album of all time? Kiss/Alive II and Boysvoice/BoysVoice
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Kiss/Dynasty
A bass: Fender Precision 1974
Favorite musician: Jon Bon Jovi
Favorite band or group: Kiss, Accept, Free
As you describe yourself ? Passionate, determined, reliable, loyal



Jochen, who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
Kiss as a band … and all these great musicians I had the privilege of working with. I learned from all of them … and still do!


Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
There are quite a few (pretty much every song I have written or contributed), but Kiss -"Rock And Roll All Nite" is definitely one of them. Probably because it’s all rockers anthems and the lyrics speak for themselves. Among the Top 3 songs would also be Casanova’s -"Burning Love", simply because I think it’s - to this day - still the best song Michael Voss has written and it was the first song I ever heard from the band. Last but not least, the last album I did: "Viva La Tia’s" - "Klassifiziert", straight forward punk rock with german lyrics. So much blood, sweat, tears, passion and energy went into the process of producing it. I had the chance to collaborate with great songwriters and all my lyrics are so autobiographical, I left my own band after the release and the first tour, but that’s a different story...


Who is your favorite bass player of all time?
Bob Daisley, Roger Glover, Peter Baltes.


What can you say about the days of the "Casanova"? What are your memories of that time?
Overall great memories! Very intense time period.  Most professional, talented, focused, hardest working band I have ever been in. Great guys, great music, awesome live shows … And here’s a little known fact:
While I was still in Boysvoice (we were playing our first headliner tour in summer of 1990) I got a phone call from Casanova drummer Michael Eurich asking me to join Casanova who was just preparing their first album. I was flattered to hear that since I liked the music a lot and working with former Warlock and Mad Max members sounded like fun! So we ended up playing a great audition and got along great, but due to scheduling conflicts and prior commitments with Boysvoice, I couldn’t join them for their first album. I was devastated to say the least. But fortunately for me, the guy they picked instead of me, didn’t last very long… So when their second album came along they asked me again, And the rest is history!


What are your next projects?
I still got the follow up album that was supposed to be "Viva La Tia’s" 2nd album in my drawer,  not quite sure what to do with it, at the moment. Right now, I am just sitting on it, waiting!
I play a lot live, almost every week with various cover or tribute bands, lot of diversity, a lot of work, a lot of different styles and shows. But Fun! 


To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
(Joseph Clinton Pearce)
Art is the only serious thing in the world. And the artist is the only person who is never serious.
(Oscar Wilde)