Tuesday

Interview with bassist Eric Brittingham


Interview with bassist Eric Brittingham of Cinderella / Devil City Angels

Quick Facts:
Name: Eric Brittingham
Birth date: May 8th
Place of birth: Maryland, USA
Favorite album of all time? I really don't have a favorite album. I go through cycles of liking different albums. A few albums that I always listen to are: Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie), Brother (Cry of Love), Purple (Stone Temple Pilots), Din of Ecstasy (Chris Whitley), Iowa (Slipknot).
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Master of Reality (Black Sabbath)
A bass: My favorite is my 1959 Fender Precision 
Favorite musician: David Bowie
Favorite band or group: Too many to list
As you describe yourself ? A musical MacGyver  or "fix it man"!

Eric, what are your most recently completed projects?
I'm currently recording an album with my new band, "Devil City Angels". The band is: Myself, Rikki Rockett (Poison), Tracii Guns (LA Guns) and Brandon Gibbs (Cheap Thrill).

How old were you when you first started playing bass? What inspired you to learn?
I started at age 7 on guitar and switched to bass at 17. My father was a guitar player and showed me a few chords and encouraged me to play. I was playing in bands at age 10 and gigging by age 13. I was asked to fill in on bass for a friends band when I was 17. I loved playing bass and it became my main instrument. 

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
So many songs bring back specific memories that I consider special. I can't pick just one that I think would stand alone. 

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
I grew up in the 70's and was influenced by the rock bands of that era, ie. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Bowie, Stones, Yes, Rush, etc. 

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
Probably walking into the arena that I was going to play, for the first time, with Cinderella when we opened for David Lee Roth. Standing on that huge stage and looking out into the empty arena. It seemed way bigger than I had imagined, and knowing that I was going to play there in front of 15,000 people, was simply mind blowing.

And what can you say about the days of the "Cinderella"? What are your memories of that time? 
Cinderella has been a great experience and full of great and not so great moments. I am fortunate to have been a part of that journey, which is still continuing.

What are your next projects?
As I mentioned, I'm recording with Devil City Angels and will be releasing that album in the spring of 2015. We plan to tour extensively next year in support of the release. 

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Never say never!
When Cinderella was dropped from our label and officially split up in 1996, I didn't think that we would ever play again. We have done many successful tours since then and will probably do more. If anyone had said that I would be part of a new band that would sign a major label deal when I was 54, I would've laughed. Well....