Monday

Interview with guitarist Joel Hoekstra


Interview with Joel Hoekstra guitarist of Night Ranger / Whitesnake / Trans Siberian Orchestra 

Quick Facts:
Name: Joel Hoekstra
Favorite album of all time? I don't really have one, but I started guitar because of AC/DC-Back in Black.
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? AC/DC For Those About to Rock
A guitar: an Electra-Westone
Favorite musician: I don't really have one, but again I started because of Angus Young
As you describe yourself ? I am a guitarist who lives in New York City.  I currently play for Whitesnake, Trans Siberian Orchestra and the Broadway show Rock of Ages.

Joel, what are your most recently completed projects?
I just finished the new Whitesnake album which will come out early 2015.  I'm currently on my 5th Winter Tour with Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
There's too many to name.  I started out with AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and then started to enjoy melodic bands like Boston, Journey, Foreigner.  I also am influenced by progressive bands like Rush and Yes and technically proficient players like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
I don't really have one.  Bach-Air on the G String is the most beautiful music ever written.

You have been a member of a few famous bands... What can you say about the days of the Whitesnake and Night Ranger?
I really had 7 fantastic years with Night Ranger and so far my time recording with Whitesnake has been a dream come true.  I'm looking forward to touring with them in 2015.

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?
There are many, but my first gig with Night Ranger, my shows filling in for Mick Jones in Foreigner and my audition with David Coverdale all stand out.

What are your next projects?
I am still promoting my side project VHF that is psychedelic, instrumental rock.  I also have a vocal, hard rock side project I'm recording with that will also be out in 2015.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
I'm just happy to be here.