Monday

Interview with guitarist Bil Leverty


Interview with guitarist Bil Leverty of FireHouse



Quick Facts:
Name: Bil Leverty
Birth date: 1/30
Place of birth: Richmond, VA
Favorite album of all time? Scorpions “LOVE AT FIRST STING”
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Ted Nugent “TED NUGENT”
First guitar: Framus Classical
Favorite musician: Steve Morse
Favorite band or group: Scorpions
As you describe yourself ? Trying to do my best

Bill, what are your most recently completed projects? 
I have been working on my 5th solo album. The last song I've completed is called “The Heart Heals The Soul”. I made a video for it as well which is on Youtube. The song before that was called “The Bloom Is Off The Rose” which also has a video on Youtube. I'm almost finished with a new song which should be done soon. You can join my mailing list at www.Leverty.com and I’ll let you know when it's ready.

How did you become a guitarist? What inspired you to learn? 
I always focused on the guitar when I listened to music. I didn't start playing until I was 15. I took a few lessons and was instantly obsessed. I started playing in a band about a year later and never turned back.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why? 
I have to say that my latest song, “The Heart Heals The Soul” is very special to me because it's about family, which is the most important thing in my life.

Has the dynamic of the band "Firehouse", changed over the years? 
Absolutely. I think we've grown personally and musically, and our priorities have evolved.  

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment? 
Winning the American Music Award in 1991 for best new hard rock band is probably the biggest highlight for me. Also, receiving our first gold album from Tommy Mottola in his office was mighty cool. 

Let's talk about of the your new album. And what are the differences with songwriting/recording on the new album as compared to your previous albums? 
I have my own studio now where I can make real recordings, so that's probably the most dramatic difference. I can record whenever I want and there isn't as much pressure and nervousness as there was back in the day. My last album is called “DRIVE” and it is all cover tunes that influenced me as a kid, before I started playing guitar. You can check it out on my website, www.Leverty.com.

What is next for you,  and for Firehouse, tours on the way? 
FireHouse will continue to tour until we can't do it anymore. I will continue to create new music until I can't do that anymore. I’ve been recording a lot of projects in my studio for my side projects and other musicians and bands. I really enjoy producing, engineering, mixing and mastering music.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave .... 
I never liked the phrase, “Rock Star”.