Tuesday

Interview with bassist Dan McNay


Interview with bassist Dan McNay of Chrome Public / Bad Motor Scooter


Quick Facts:
Name: Dan McNay
Birth date: 06/14
Place of birth: Oakland, California. I now live in Los Angeles, California
Favorite album of all time? Too many to name. I love Led Zep’s, Black Sabbath’s, Bad Company's first records, Ozzy Osbourne -Blizzard of Oz & Diary of a Madman, ACDC- Highway to Hell, Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance, Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, I could go on & on.
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I bought 2. I purchased the very 1st Kiss record (Kiss), and Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic on the same day. I went directly home on my bike and locked myself in my bedroom for a week listening!
A bass: My “A” bass is a 1976 all black Fender P bass. I am all about vintage tone. I would rather take an old bass with old tone & set it up like a 5 string, than go purchase a new 5 string.
Favorite musician: I really love the guys in Tesla, and Mr Ronnie Montrose for giving me the opportunities to tour and play on a big level. I guess I am bias towards the guys who tapped me on the shoulder, said, ”you are good enough, let’s go play some music”. I also really appreciate John Paul Jones as he is the absolute musician’s musician. AKA Led Zep’s secret weapon.
Favorite band or group: That’s a tough one! Music is the greatest art form on the planet. I have a strong appreciation for any artist that is original, organic, and real! There are so many talented people out there.
As you describe yourself ? I always feel blessed to love music like I do. I am a people watcher, a good Father, and most important….a good human. Nothing worse than working in a situation with people who think they are better in some way because they can play an instrument great. No room for people like that. We all need each other. I have 2 words for all of them. Humility, & Grateful. So to answer your question, I am simply 1 part of the worlds energy.

Dan, what are your most recently completed projects?
Just did tracking for a country band named “Speed Buggy”, Also just recorded 15 Bad Company masters with a great producer friend. You can hear them at http://www.reverbnation.com/radcompany6/songs. Also just finished a recording with a band called “Chrome Public” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slREmTyZWu0 Currently working with a young new rock artist named Gabbie Rae. Doing tour dates here in USA, Farm Rock Festival, Monsters of Rock cruise, etc. Trying to build an amazing record with her. Also play in a Band called “Bad Motor Scooter” doing some summer touring, biker festivals, club dates, etc. The members in that band include guitarist Mitch Perry ( Edgar Winter, MSG, Lita Ford ), guitarist Rowan Robertson ( Dio, DC4, Bang Tango ), Drummer Les Warner ( The Cult ), and singer Randy Scoles ( Frank Hannon Band, Montrose ). This band is so much fun as everyone is very talented & the chemistry is amazing.

What your favorite bass player of all time?
There are too many to list. I like them all for so many different reasons.

When did you first start playing bass, and which artists were your biggest influences? 
I am influenced by literally everything I hear. You can hear a repetitive noise from a machine at a construction site, and I start to hear a groove.

What is music to you?
The greatest art medium in the universe. There is a science to frequencies, & how they affect the human body. When a artist/band/recording hit those frequencies together perfectly, it makes us all react in the ways they intended. Amazing! Not many bands actually think of it that way, but there is a science to it. Check out this link and see what frequencies do to sand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS67HA4YMCs

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave…
“ Love is the only Gold"