Tuesday

Interview with drummer Izzy Rock


Interview with drummer Izzy Rock

Quick Facts:
Name: Izzy Rock
Birth date: March 27
Place of birth: Santiago, Chile
Favorite album of all time? WICKED SENSATION by Lynch Mob
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? I remember my dad buying me Def Leppard’s Hysteria on Cassette back in ’88. But the first I ever bought, if I remember correctly, was Whitesnake SLIP OF THE TONGUE on cd. I remember saving up all my pennies then asking my dad to take me to the record store.
A drum: Pork Pie Percussion. I’m a hard hitter.  For drumsticks, I rely on Xcel Drumsticks for its durability and reliability on stage and in the studio. Pork Pie Percussion and Xcel Drumsticks is the perfect combination for me.
Favorite musician: Having met a lot of famous musicians I grew up idolizing on the radio and MTV, three great musicians come to mind. Mike Patton frontman and rhythm guitar for 3PartsDead, Jason Cornwell bassist for 3PartsDead and the Eric Martin Band, and Nikki Sin lead guitar for V. Aside from being great musicians, they also happen to be great friends of mine.
Favorite band or group: ahhhh so many to mention, but I have 3 all-time favorite bands. Lynch Mob, Rata Blanca, Whitesnake.
As you describe yourself? Back in 2011, when I played Rocklahoma, I was being called “the smiley drummer” because I’m constantly smiling I guess. I’ve been called a very friendly and humble individual, so I’m assuming I’m that.

When did you first start playing, and which artists were your biggest influences?
I started with a toy drum kit when I was 7 or 8 years old back in Chile. The kit consisted of a snare, bass drum and a cymbal. All were attached to the bass drum. I remember driving my parents crazy. My very first show was in front of all our neighbors and neighborhood friends. My uncle and his friends put a makeshift stage together so all the kids could perform whatever they wanted. So, me and 3 other friends dressed as KISS (or we thought we dressed as KISS). We lip synched to Rock n Roll All Nite. I still remember the awesome feeling of being onstage in front of your friends. That was the moment I think, that started it all for me. 
How would you describe your playing style?
I’m a very visual drummer, I like to put on a show to accompany the movements on stage of the Singer, guitar player and bassist. In an interview, my friend described my playing as “bombastic” and it’s because I'm a hard hitter.
 Who is your favorite drummer of all time?
Now this is a tough question since I’ve been influenced by a ton great of drummers. I can give you the ones that I'm constantly listening to though. Tommy Aldridge, Eric Singer, Brian Tichy, Matt Sorum, Ian Aughland, Alex Gonzalez, Fernando Scarsella, Deen Castronovo, John Bonham, Jason Bonham, Rod Morgenstein, Franki Banalli, BJ Zampa, Eric Carr, Ken Koudelka…
 Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
This song is very dear to me. When I first heard it, I loved it. Very melodic. But it took a different feel and it became more personal. I always sing it outloud at home because it brings back memories of my mother. TOMORROW by Europe, whenever I play it on my stereo it gets me teary eyed. Europe was one of her favorite Rock bands.
What are your next projects?
At the moment I'm working with my friend Jason Cornwell on some ideas for songs, and hopefully soon have the ball rolling.
To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave…
Rock n Roll is very much alive and kicking!