Sunday

Interview with guitarist Rowan Robertson


Interview with guitarist Rowan Robertson of Bang Tango / Ex - Dio

Quick Facts:
Name: Rowan Robertson
Birth date: 22nd Nov 
Place of birth: Bedford, UK
Favorite album of all time?  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Soundtrack To The Film; Jimmy Hendrix
A guitar: Fender Stratocaster
Favorite musician: Tony Iommi
Favorite band or group: BeatlesAs you describe yourself ? ' A Lifer'

Rowan, how did you become a guitarist?

There was an old guitar in my sister's room as a kid, which I picked up. My dad knew a couple of chords which he showed me, and also friends of the family showed me bits and pieces, mostly folk finger picking.

Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?

There are so many songs, from not only the heavy rock genre, but to pick one I will choose 'A Spiral Architect' from Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' album. It's heavy, but has great melody and mystery. The final statement of an album from arguably the greatest heavy metal band in history, at the height of their creativity, it sums up a unique feeling for me of romance and a sort of yearning, searching feeling. I love the way that album is recorded and played, all the different guitar tones, acoustics and even great progressive rock sounds in there too.

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?

Hendrix, Queen, ACDC, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Bert Jansch, John Fahey and many more.

Up to this point in your career, what has been your most memorable moment?

Collaborating with Ronnie James Dio and the Dio band in rehearsal and writing for the Lock Up The Wolves album. 

What can you say about the days of the "Dio"? 

Ronnie was a great man and taught me so much, it was an amazing time for me and I look back at it fondly, wouldn't change a thing. I feel tremendously privileged to have had my guitar be the one behind his voice.

What is next for you or Bang Tango, new albums, tours?   

We are about to go on tour for just under a month in the East of the US, including the Monsters Of Rock Cruise and the M3 festival so I'm really looking forward to that. There are also plans to record some new material.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....

Carpe Diem!