Tuesday

Interview with guitarist Conny Bloom


Interview with guitarist Conny Bloom of Electric Boys / Ex Hanoi Rocks

Quick Facts:
Name: Conny Bloom
Birth date: 20th of November
Place of birth: Stockholm, Sweden
Favorite album of all time? Absolutely impossible to pick just one. But despite of what people might think of my musical taste, I say "Bob Marley Live".
A guitar: Fender Stratocaster! Almost all my guitar heroes played one and so that's what I've done too.
Favorite musician: Electric fave guitarist? I say Jeff Beck but there's many more. Acoustic: gypsy jazz virtuoso Django Reinhardt.
Favorite band or group: Fave band. Oooh.. There's to many great bands for various reasons.. But ok, AC-DC! Straight to the core, balls out rock'n'roll!
As you describe yourself ? Myself, I'm a singer, guitar player, songwriter. Interested in photography, video making, design. Loves good food and drinks. Scorpio. Proud dad of 2 beautiful kids.

Conny, how did you become a guitarist?
I started playing guitar when I was 11-12. Some neighbours that played guitar as well, got me curious at first. Started on acoustic for a few years until I got my first electric.
Almost everyone has a song that is special, you would like to reveal what is your song special and why?
There's a few but Ian Hunter's "Irene Wild" might be the best ballad ever written…
Who are your main musical and guitar influences?
My main influences… Already said some of my fave guitarists above but Ritchie Blackmore & Jimi Hendrix can be added. (As well as many others). From a songwriting point of view, I've been inspired quite often by Cheap Trick. And funk.
You have been a member of a few famous bands...what can you say about the days of the "Hanoi Rocks"?
Playing with Hanoi Rocks was great! We were a hard rocking machine live and I think the album we did, "Street Poetry", was a good album.
What has been the most exciting moment of your career thus far?
My most exciting moments gotta be when I played a Zeppelin medley at the Polar Prize in Sweden in front of Led Zeppelin and the king of Sweden. We did it quite differently, with my friend Svante Drake doing beatbox sounds with his mouth etc.  Afterwards someone came to the bar to get me, saying that "Jimmy Page wants to meet you". I was taken back to another room where Jimmy was. He shook my hand and said "I just want you to know it was the coolest cover version I've heard of any Zep material". He was a gentleman, very cool.
What is next for "Electric Boys"new album?
Next up for Electric Boys is to try get our last album "Starflight United" out all over the world. We do some festivals this summer in Sweden. In October we tour UK with Dan Reed Network to celebrate our 1st album "Funk-O-Metal Carpet Ride" 25th year anniversary. That will be a great tour!
To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
To finish up, I wanna thank our fans from before for keeping the faith and say welcome aboard to the new ones. Hopefully we get to tour just where YOU are! Peace!