Friday

Interview with bassist Marten Andersson



Interview with Marten Andersson bassist of Lizzy Borden / George Lynch / Legacy 


Quick Facts:
Name: Marten F. Andersson
Birth date: November 26
Place of birth: Stockholm, Sweden
Favorite album of all time: It has Kiss on it
What is the first CD or LP you ever bought? Kiss Alive 2
A bass: ESP’s
Favorite musician: Harris, Sheehan, Lemmy, Chris Glen, Geezer and tons more
Favorite band or group: Early MSG, Judas Priest, Maiden, Kiss, Motorhead, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy,
As you describe yourself ? I'm modest but yet creative thinker and hard worker. I always try to have a unique perspective when approaching an issue and I try to consistently grow. (I hate drama!)

What are your most recently completed projects and what are you currently working on? 
I have been in Lizzy Borden for a long time and I was with George Lynch and his Lynch Mob for 6 or 7 years. Hmm what else, check out Dario Lorina's (Black Label Society) latest instrumental CD (out on Shrapnel records now you can find it here: http://goo.gl/1DXXqX) it has a ton of cool shredding on it. My old solo project ‘Legacy' was recently re-released digitally with bonus tracks and I just found out it’s on some metal charts which is mindblowing that after all these years, that people still like it but that’s great. (more info can be found here:  www.legacylive.com or http://cdbaby.com/cd/Legacy15) As far as Lizzy Borden, we are currently finishing up the 30th Anniversary, in 2014 we played in places like South Korea, South America, U.S.A., Europe and we are ending this year in Russia, it's been a crazy couple of years and there are still many more countries out there!

Who were the bands or musicians who had the greatest influence on you?
I like all kinds of styles, but when I initially got started I listened A LOT to hardrock and metal, like Kiss, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Purple, Rainbow, Ufo, MSG but when I grew up more I got into instrumental, jazz and classical music.  I always look for new inspiration and the way I find inspiration has changed  (it's an ever evolving process for me and they are constantly changing based on how I feel or what I am doing in my life). Nowadays I seek inspiration in all kinds of places, travel, movies, art. 

What is music to you?
I have been thinking a lot of the purpose of music lately, especially with the state of the music industry is in (and who knows where it's going to be in the future). The fact is that some young people don't get into music the way I did when I was young, it's heartbreaking and I hope I am wrong  but I think with all the distractions in our lifes perhaps music (and art) does not serve as an important role today. It's to bad because I find that people relate and use music in their lives in so many beneficial (and different) ways.  Music is a way to express emotions, feelings, an outlet that can be very hard to express in other ways. For me music is my identity, my world, my drug and also my my therapist, lol. One thing we know for sure is when you listen to music, your brain releases a pleasure chemical called dopamine. Dopamine is the same thing that gets released when you eat great food or when you get a new follower on Twitter lol. I read an interview with (author) Stephen King that he likes to write listening to hardrock. As long as it makes you happy and productive crank up the songs!!

You've worked with so many great musicians over the years. Do you have a favorite?
I have been fortunate to work with many talented musicians and you take something different form each experience. Like all different scenarios, projects and band lineups, they are all relationships which are always going to come with up and downs, and also great rewards, moments that you cherish for the rest of your life,  but a favorite, no.

To end the interview, a phrase you want to leave ....
Please be happy in your life, don't give up, be kind to fellow man. Stop listening to the bullshit in your head (and the people) who says you can’t do it.